Monday, October 11, 2010

Vegan cheese

As I talk to non-vegans about my diet, I often hear "i could never give up cheese".  Twelve years ago, I did not have much of and answer.  The vegan cheese options were limited, at best.  There were a few brands but most did not melt, nor did they taste like cheese.  Now, veganism is easy.  There are so many vegan cheeses that you can take your pick.


As a kid I never liked cheese.  I would eat it on pizza and that was about it.  cold cheese made me sick.  I recall an evening at a sandwich shop with some vegetarian friends, at the time i was only vegetarian.  My friend offered me a bite of his sandwich, I took him up on his offer.  Without realizing it had cheese in the sandwich, I took a big bite only to vomit on the table in the middle of the restaurant seconds later.  Needless to say, I was not quick to jump on the vegan cheese train all these years later.

It was not until a few years ago, while living with Jamie, that she wanted to try some vegan cheeses.  As always with food, I agreed.  I was shocked at how good it was.  Since then, I have experimented with different brands as well as making my own.  Still, I rarely use it but on occasion I mix it up.

Veganism has become so much easier.


Several people asked for the Seitan Steak recipe.  It is posted on right hand side and there is a link here.  Thank you for your interest!

2 comments:

Jes said...

I don't know of too many people who didn't like cheese as a kid--I was definitely a fan! Woot for good vegan cheese though! What's your favorite? Daiya?

Anonymous said...

Vegan cheese has definitely made improvements. So has the yogurt. Years ago, soy yogurt tasted like wet newspaper.

Krys and the boys