Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween! Recipe Update: Sweet Potato Soup

Halloween!

This was my first Halloween in my own home.  I have so many great memories from the holiday as a child that I was so excited about handing out candy that I passed on some activities that I would typically jump on.  The trick-or-treaters are few and far between but I had a great time.  It was so fun to see the costumes that people worked so hard on.

I have never given out candy before.  I never had a place that is was worth the time nor have I had the day off.  This was another big landmark for my life in the house.



While giving out candy, I made an appropriate autumn dinner.  It is another recipe reboot and one that was in dire need.  This was actually the first recipe I posted on my blog, several years ago.  How the years have flown by.


Sweet Potato Soup

2 sweet potatoes (cubed)
3 cups of water
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1  1/2 tablespoons of maple syrup
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon of oregano
1/2 teaspoon of salt

Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes.  Bring the 3 cups of water and salt to a boil.  Add the sweet potato and boil for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Remove from the heat.  Mash the potatoes until slightly chunky but well mashed.  Use the water the potatoes were boiled in.  Add the cinnamon, syrup, oregano, and brown sugar.  The oregano helps to keep this dish earthy.  Mash and bring to a simmer for 3-5 minutes.  Serve hot or cold.

3 comments:

Sarah S. said...

What are you putting in that little girl's bucket? Looks huge whatever is it! Bet you were a popular house to visit ;)

Hannah said...

Happy belated Halloween! I'd happily take a bowlful of your soup over a handful of candy. ;)

Jes said...

Beautiful, vibrant soup! And what fun, giving out candy! I can't wait till I live somewhere where I can do that again :)