Thursday, July 28, 2011

The measurement of a chocolate success.

How do I measure success?  Well, I suppose, if it is simply for me or people close to me, as long as it tastes good, it is a success.  If that is the measuring stick, then certainly, my recent cake attempt was a brilliant success.  However, if the standard is an aesthetically pleasing and well constructed cake, I failed.

The cake was baking well but my failure as a baker shined through when it came out of the pans in pieces.  Since I have a lot of experience piecing cakes back together I was able to place them in relative togetherness, enough to ice.  The icing held the pieces together enough for a few pictures and some tasty slices of cake but no doubt about it, this cake was a train wreck.  A tasty, sugar infested, chocolate train wreck.


9 comments:

Catherine Weber said...

Your cake looks very moist, chocolatey, and good. It doesn't look like a train wreck!
(I line my cake pans with parchment, usually -- that does help with release, if you're interested!)

Millie said...

wow that cake looks devilish...yummy!!!!

thanks for the recipe, I will try to make the salad this upcoming month when I stock up the pantry and the food storage again. We will be in touch on how it came out.

Rose said...

That cake looks perfect to me! You did a great job peicing it together...and it looks so delicious too!

Sindy said...

In the end, it is about how it tastes!

tweal said...

Oh wow, I should not be looking at this moist and delicious chocolate cake before breakfast. Especially when I have the ingredients here to make one... Nope, very bad idea! (lovely cake though!)

Jes said...

Looks like a darn good cake to me!

Unknown said...

Maybe for you it's a wreck but It looks Very yummy to me :-)

Leslie Ann Costello said...

One rule of cooking: If it tastes good, it IS good.

This is paraphrased from a guy I used to listen to on the radio, who developed some music by, he said, PDQ Bach. His contention was "If it sounds good, it IS good." I think HE was quoting Duke Ellington, come to think of it. But your cake looks delicious and makes my gluten-free condition feel very, umm, deprived.

Hannah said...

Sure doesn't look anything like a train wreck to me! Yeesh, a train wreck is when the cake lands on the floor, or is eaten by the dog... But this looks fantastic if you ask me!