Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Big days

It was an busy and good day. I got up early to rush across town to get a special key for showing houses. After paying more fees, I rushed back to my side of town with my new toy which allows me access to nearly any foreclosure home in the state. After a few quick phone calls, I was showing houses. We looked at 5 houses that were all pretty decent. I really enjoy looking at houses. I hope that I make replace my jobby job with something I enjoy really soon.

When I got home, Ashley came over and we had lunch. A few days ago she tried to make her first vegan burger. She made it with chic peas and breaded it with the breading used in my Tofu Chicken Fingers recipe. She save one for me and I ate it for lunch. It was really good and made my mind race about some spin off recipes. I can not wait!


Then we headed out to a little hike. Just for a couple of hours but it was a good time and I got my first mini hike in of the season, albeit late. There were a throng of bugs but we had a fun time regardless. I climbed into a tree and we saw some cool things including a dragonfly (my mum loves them!).
Then it was home in time to make dinner before she needed to leave. I was lacking in good proteins to use until I saw a package of tempeh in the back of the fridge. I was on it! It is a rarely used but very much appreciated protein in my house and Ashley had never tried it. In fact, not only had she never tried tempeh but, she dislikes coconut and lime but has confidence in my flavors and went along with the meal. She enjoyed it more then I did when it was finished.


Tempeh in a Lime and Coconut Sauce

12 oz of tempeh (cubed)
3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
2 green thai chili peppers (chopped)
1/2 of an onion (chopped)
1/2 of a green pepper
1 cup of coconut milk
1 tablespoon of oil
1 tablespoon of lime juice
1 tablespoon of water
1 tablespoon of green onions (chopped)
1 teaspoon of cilantro (chopped)
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of corn starch

In a saute pan, heat 1/2 of the oil on med-low heat. Saute the garlic, chili peppers, and onion until onion has a golden hue. Once the onion is done, add the coconut milk and water then mix well. Turn heat down to low and add the sugar, salt, corn starch, and lime juice and let simmer for 5 minutes.

In a frying pan, heat the remaining oil on med-high. Once the oil is hot, add the tempeh and allow to try for about 5 minutes or until the sides are beginning to brown. Add the green pepper (sliced) and stir to allow the opposite side of the tempeh to fry. Continue to flip and allow to fry until the green pepper is beginning to soften. Pour the coconut lime sauce into the tempeh, add the cilantro and stir well. Serve over coconut rice topped with some chopped green onion.

4 comments:

dirtyduck said...

i need some friends like that!!!! that sandwich looks so filling and good.lol jobby job?that made me smile, i like looking at houses also, there is some really good stuff on the market right now.

two vegan boys said...

Yum. The food looks great as usual. Love the hiking pictures.

jessy said...

too funny that you refer to your job as a "jobby job". dan totally does that, too. ah ha ha! Ashley is too awesome to make vegan burgers and to try your coconutty lime tempeh. superw00t on her enjoying it so much! i love the picture of the skink/lizard, and the dragonfly is pretty neat, too - although they do kinda freak me out a bit. they look fairly prehistoric or somethin'. i dunno... so awesome on you getting the key to get into the houses to show. :)

Sarah S. said...

Check out that creamy goodness on a plate, outrageous!