Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Deli Slices

Simply put, I am spending to much money at work buying those pre-packaged vegan deli slices.  I had made something similar to this previously but wanted to work on it  before I shared.  Well, here it is, wonderful and going to save me lots of money at the store and the environment many plastic wrappers.


Deli Slices


15 oz of white beans
2  3/4 cups of wheat gluten
2 cups of vegetable broth
1/3 cup of oil
2 tablespoon of sage
2 tablespoon of rosemary
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 tablespoon of onion powder
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 tablespoon of crushed chipotle pepper


1 tablespoon of oregano
1 tablespoon of paprika

1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon of black pepper
1 teaspoon of salt


Boil the 2 cups of water.

In a large bowl, mash the beans until they are smooth.  Once smooth, add the oil, onion powder, garlic powder, crushed chipotle peppers, sage, salt, rosemary, cumin, oregano, paprika, soy sauce, and black pepper and mix well.  Add the boiling vegetable broth and mix again.  This should be a very watery deep red color.

Add the wheat gluten and quick and vigorously mix.  The mixture will thicken up and become difficult to mix very quickly.  Make sure there are no "dry" spots, everything should be moist.



Once the wheat gluten has been mixed in efficiently, dump the gluten mixture onto a cutting board and loosely form into a log shape.  The dough should be very moist and slightly oily.  Then place it on aluminum foil and roll like a burrito covering all of the dough.



Steam for 1 hour.

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Remove from the steam and place in a baking pan.  Bake in the over for about 45 minutes, this will allow the dough to swell and fill out.  After the dough has been in the oven for about 25 minutes, flip it to allow even cooking.  Allow an hour or so for cooling.



Although this recipe takes awhile to make much of the labor work is very simple and only takes a few minutes.  This might be a great recipe to make while doing some housework or watching a basketball game!

28 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

This looks good - homemade sausages like this are so worth the extra effort.

Sarah S. said...

So meaty looking! Crazy! Not sure I have the means to steam something that large though, any tips?

miss v said...

dude! so awesome. i always hate shelling out the bucks for those deli slices, but they make for quick and easy lunches. perfect.

Rose said...

Great recipe! This looks perfect for sandwiches.

jd said...

Oooo... you just made my bf a happy, happy man! He loves those expensive deli slices - but we'll be buying them no more!

Hannah said...

This is great! I've been starting to experiment with wheat gluten more so I'm totally digging this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

jessy said...

while i can't enjoy gluten, i sure can make something like this for dan. he would love some deli slices to take to work on sammies. what a great idea - i don't know why i've never made 'em before. your recipe looks like a tasty one, and i like that it's not a lot of hands on time. that's how i feel about dried beans and bread. we make our beans from dried ones and i make a loaf of bread each week for dan's sammies - sure, they take a while - but hands on time is less than 10 minutes - and i usually whip them both up on sundays when we're being lazy and watching football. totally gonna have to add deli slices to my list of yummies to prep for the week. thanks so muhc!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

You call for 2 cups of vegetable broth, but then say to boil 2 cups of water--I am assuming that is the vegetable broth called for? Or is that an additional 2 cups of water?

Courtney

MeloMeals said...

That looks great! I make a very similar one.. I like that you spice heavily! I've been pressure cooking seitan and really like the texture of it..

vegan.in.brighton said...

Oh wow! I really need to make this, you can't really get good deli slices here & I loved Tofurkey so much when I was in the US.

Sindy said...

Beautiful job! Gotta love homemade! :)

Vic Robinson said...

Courtney! Good catch! I have corrected it. It was 2 cups of veggie broth! Thank you! An thank you to everyone who has made such supportive and nice comments! :)

Millie said...

that is awesome and so yummy looking.

Anonymous said...

Yum! Smart man. What a way to save money! I will be making this. :)

Anonymous said...

P.S. Do you remove it from the foil before baking?

Vic Robinson said...

Kris, it is baked in the foil. The photo of it in the pan without the foil after the baking is just to show what it should look like when it is completed. Bake it in the foil. :)

Alessandra said...

This looks really really really nice!

Elisabeth said...

This looks amazing! I wish I had that when I made some Reuben style sandwiches with sauerkraut, Tofurky Pepperoni Deli Slices and Miso Mayo on a rye bread today. I bet you can even fry it and eat it with mustard and bread later. Or serve it instead of a meatloaf. You should make this for sale, on Etsy.com. Or start your own deli :o)

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

These look absolutely amazing! I have tried making deli slices, too, but they were a little soggy in the middle. I am definitely going to try this recipe!

Amanda said...

This looks so yummy!

Bonnie said...

This recipe looks wonderful - thanks for sharing! Steamed seitan recipes don't always work out for me, as the dough doesn't seem to cook properly, so I often end up baking it afterwards. Since your recipe already uses both methods, this should be perfect for me!

dirtyduck said...

i NEVER thought to put beans in seiten!! brilliant!. try freezing your meaty thing and then slicing it on a mandolin (while frozen) the slies come out like shaved gyro meat!!

Anonymous said...

I've never made my own seitan, but this looks wonderful. I may have to give it a go! Plus, I really like your combination of fall spices in it. I'm sure it tastes divine.

Tanya said...

Wow, this looks delicious....will have to try! Do you flip it in the oven AFTER 45 minutes? Or is that the total baking time?

Vic Robinson said...

yes...you want to flip it somewhere around the 25 minute mark. I will update that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Anonymous said...

What can I replace wheat gluten with as I have allergies

Unknown said...

Try this fennel "sausage" you will not know that it isn't sweet Italian pork sausage:https://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/vegan-italian-sausage

Unknown said...

Cut it in half and reduce the cooking time.