Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Cranberry Sauce

Recently, I posted a recipe for some spicy cranberry sauce that could be used to tofu, tempeh, soy chicken, etc. and there was a strong response.  It seems like many people did not know what to do with their cranberry sauce.  Well, me? I eat it.  With a spoon or fork, in a bowl.  It is delicious.

Cranberry sauce is incredibly simple to make.  I though I would share my recipe in case people are not happy enough with theirs.  Your cranberry sauce should be good enough to sit down and eat with no other food around.  It does not need to be a topping.  Consider this an side dish or even a dessert.


Cranberry Sauce

12 oz of cranberries
3/4 cup of water
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of maple syrup
2 teaspoons of corn starch
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of vanilla


In a pot, add the water, sugar, corn starch, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and bring to a boil.  Once boiling, add the cranberries and cover.  Boil for about 10 minutes or until most all of the cranberries have popped open.  Occasionally, I will pull out the masher and give it one or two mashes.  There should be numerous cranberries that are still nearly whole and the sauce should be thick.  It will become thicker as it cools.


Cranberry sauce is a staple at my holiday dinners as a child.  It was always something I enjoyed.  Slightly bitter and very sweet, it was always a winner.

2 comments:

Catherine Weber said...

My boyfriend eats a huge scoop of cranberry sauce alongside his pumpkin pie. :) Dessert, indeed!

Millie said...

It sure looks good...I am licking my lips.