Monday, November 8, 2010

Raspberry Muffins

Raspberries are one of my favorite foods.  I rarely get the opportunity to cook with them however.  Mostly it is because I can not stop eating them long enough to have anything to cook with.  This time, I forced myself to resist the temptation of my favorite berry.

It was time for muffins and they were damn good!


Raspberry Muffins

2 cups of flour
2  1/2 cups of raspberries
1  1/3 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of non-dairy milk
1/2 cup of apple sauce
1/4 cup of shortening
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla


Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder and mix well.  Add the raspberries and gently stir.  Adding the raspberries here will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the muffin when cooking.

Add the apple sauce, milk, vanilla, and shortening.  Gently mix by hand until the flour is moistened.  There should be no dry flour.

Line a muffin pan with paper baking cups.  Fill each baking cup with 2/3 of the muffin batter.  Bake for 35 minutes.  I like to sprinkle my muffins with some crystallized sugar just as I pull them out of the oven.




I am a huge muffin guy.  I should really make them more often.  These reminded me of long road trips with friends to protest nuclear power plants with big brown paper bags full of muffins I made for the crew.  Several of us would live of my vegan muffins and some dumpster dived fruits and veggies for several days.  Good times, good muffins.

Special thanks to Miss V for the tip of how to keep my berries afloat!

8 comments:

Leigh said...

Oh, lovely! I admit, I really like muffins with shortening. It really adds to the texture. Also- you baked!!

Unknown said...

Those look AMAZING!

Rose said...

"Good times, good muffins"...I like that. Great tip on how to get the fruit to float...the muffins look fab.

Rachana said...

Awesome muffins!

Millie said...

I love muffins, but I can't have the raspberries...that is one of my food allergies. I use blueberries or strawberries. But my friend...your muffins look fabulous.

Jes said...

These muffs look amazing! I adore raspberries & I know I'd love these?

dreaminitvegan said...

Those muffins look very tasty. My son eats frozen raspberries right out of the bag. I have to restock our supply every Trader Joe's trip.

Sarah S. said...

Tempting!