Friday, November 12, 2010

Japanese Mushroom and Tofu Soup

I am still on a soup kick.  Vegan MoFo came at the right tome for me.  Soups!  This is a soup I always love when I get the rare chance to eat it when I at a restaurant.  I decided it could not be to difficult to make, and I was correct.  It takes some preparation work but nothing to strenuous.

This soup makes enough to feed the family for a few days.  I made it to go with my deli slices for work time lunches.  If you would desire less, half the recipe.


Japanese Mushroom and Tofu Soup
 
3 stalks of bok choy (chopped)
4 cloves of garlic (chopped)
21 oz of udon noodles (cooked)
1/2 pound of extra firm tofu (cubed)
2 cups of seitan (cubed)
2 cups of shiitake mushrooms (chopped)
8 cups of water
1 cup of enoki mushrooms
3 tablespoon of miso paste
2 tablespoons of onions
2 tablespoons of sesame oil
1  1/2 tablespoon of soy sauce

2 teaspoons of garlic chili paste
1 teaspoon of fresh ginger


In a large pot, add the 8 cups of water, soy sauce, and the miso and bring to a simmer.

Meanwhile, in a skillet, add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, all of the ginger, garlic, onion, chili paste, shiitake mushrooms, seitan, and tofu and fry for 10 minutes on med heat.  This should allow the seitan to brown a bit and the tofu to begin to get a little golden color.

Once the broth is simmering and the mushrooms / tofu / seitan mixture is cooked, add the two together into the large pot.  Be cautious not to splash the hot liquid out of the pot.  Do not let the broth simmer or the miso will burn.  Add the noodles and cook until soft.

While the noodles are cooking, add the bok choy and remaining sesame oil and continue to stir frequently.  Allow the soup to cook for 10 minutes, then add the enoki mushrooms and remove from the heat.  Let the soup steep for another 5-8 minutes and serve.  Garnish with black sesame seeds and green onion if desired.

4 comments:

dreaminitvegan said...

Okay I need to get on these Japanese soups because these are looking to good!

Rose said...

Looks so delicious and authentic!

Elisabeth said...

I love udon noodles!

Catherine Weber said...

hey, Vic -- you won my contest for the free Earth Balance soymilk! Shoot me an email (you can find a link on my profile page) with your mailing address, and your coupon will be on its way!