Saturday, November 6, 2010

French Toast

It was a lazy Saturday morning.  I slept in (relatively), after a long few days at the jobby job.  I have some big plans today and intend on having some fun.  I need to have a 24 hour break from all the work recently.  To start my day off, I did something I rarely do, breakfast.

This is a quick and easy dish I used to make on the regular about 10 years ago.  It has been at least 2 since I last made it but the recipe came back to memory like riding a bike.


French Toast

6 slices of bread
1/2 cup of vanilla non-dairy milk
1 tablespoon of vegan margarine
1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon
2 teaspoons of nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of almond extract (optional)
1/2 teaspoon of cardamom (optional)


Heat the margarine on med heat on a non stick skillet.  Make sure the pan is fully up to heat before you begin cooking.

In a large bottomed bowl, add the non-dairy milk, cinnamon, nutritional yeast, vanilla, almond, and cardamom and mix vigorously.  The cinnamon will appear to settle near the top.  Gently dip each slice of bread into the mixture and place on hot skillet.  Allow to cook for 4-5 minutes and flip.  Repeat until all slices have been cooked and are a golden brown color.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

French toast is a favorite breakfast of mine! I like to cook it in my waffle maker (:

miss v said...

that's so awesome. there is nothing like a comforting breakfast to unwind. a couple months ago i was having a fussy morning... the husband whipped me up some pancakes, and i was a new girl after that!

jessy said...

now i want french toast! ah ha ha! i'm glad you're going to have a lazy saturday - it sounds like you're always working and need a day to sit back and chill out. french toast is one delicious way to start your day, too! man, that looks SO GOOOOOOD! enjoy the rest of your saturday!

Shaheen said...

Its been a long while since I've had french toast. Intrigued by the nutritional yeast.

vegan.in.brighton said...

I've never actually made French toast but I'm definitely going to be trying your recipe.

dreaminitvegan said...

Good for you taking it easy. Yum french toast! Looks great!

Elisabeth said...

The cardamon is a great idea! I love to put cardamon in my tea, it gives it nice aroma an flavor.