Friday, June 5, 2015

They thought he was a man...but her really was a baker!

When I first went vegan in 1998, I tried my hand at bread baking.  Over the first vegan year, I baked several breads and all came out with a mild degree of success.  Nothing special but edible.  I chalked it up to the fact that I was not a good baker and moved on.

After about 17 years, as my baking has improved (enough to start a business of vegan baking), I began thinking again about bread.  I wanted to try my hand again and see if I could apply my new affinity for baking to some bread.


Yesterday, I threw down in the kitchen.  I kneaded, let rise, beat down, let rise, and baked.  It was a new and exciting process for me, much closer to seitan than cupcakes though.  Half a day later, it worked!  I had baked a couple (mis-shaped) loaves of bread!


It was quite tasty.  The flavor was great but it might have been a touch more dense.  I really had a lot of fun and will continue to move forward in the bread world.

1 comment:

Smoked Recipes said...

Hi grreat reading your post