Sunday, September 6, 2009

Spinach and Shiitake Soup with a Brownie

Spinach and Shiitake Soup

5 hydrated shiitake mushrooms
1/2 bunch of spinach leaves
4 cloves of garlic
1/2 sweet onion (chopped)
2 cups of water
1/4 cup of veggie broth powder
2 tablespoons of rice
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper

In a sauce pan, add the water, broth powder, crushed red pepper, soy sauce and rice. Bring to a boil until the rice is nearly soft. This should take about 15 minutes. Add the garlic, onion, and mushrooms. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes. Once the rice is completely soft and the mushrooms are hot, add the remaining ingredients and let simmer for another 5 minutes, until the spinach is soft and slightly wilted. Serve hot.


I got some painting done at the house yesterday. The dry wall has been completed and it makes a world of difference. I forgot to take a picture of it but I will post it next time. It has been a relaxing weekend, if uneventful. I start real estate classes next week. Should be an eventful month.

The other day I made some brownies but they did not come out of the pan. I need to work on the recipe before I make it known. Here is a nice picture of a salvaged brownie with strawberry jam on top. They were tasty, just not aesthetically pleasing.

5 comments:

Jes said...

That soup looks like the perfect weeknight meal--quick and delicious!

veggievixen said...

wow, this soup looks awesome. perfect for the cooler weather that's coming! i'm sure your brownies tasted amazing. not everything i make turns out pretty.

veggievixen said...

p.s. i have tried to make vegan ranch dressing. i was most successful with a combo of vegan mayo, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and fresh herbs. maybe some lemon juice too?

Anonymous said...

The soup looks so good as does the brownie.

Unfortunately there was no cake this past weekend due to Adam being sick all week. There will be cake next weekend. It is Josh's birthday and Arthur informed that I needed to make a dinosaur cake for his Daddy. Cute huh?

twoveganboys

Anonymous said...

I will definitely post a picture. I am checking out dinosaur clipart to see what I am going to make. I have such a silly little boy. He told me I have to make his little brother an Elmo cake for his birthday. I am curious what my birthday cake will be in November.

Krys and the boys