Friday, December 24, 2010

Tex-Mex Deli Slices

With all the work upcoming over the next week or so I wanted to make some food that I can take to work with me that was cheap and filling.  It has been nearly 2 months since I have bought any food while I am at work. This has been a massive financial savings.  This recipe was based on my Deli Slices that I created a month ago.  It is the newest variation.  I hope to create several lines of deli slices.


Tex-Mex Deli Slices

4 cloves of garlic

15 oz of black beans
2  3/4 cups of wheat gluten
1  3/4 cup of vegetable broth
1/2 cup of corn
1/2 cup of portobello mushrooms (cubed)
1/4 cup of cumin
1/4 cup of onion
1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon of chipolte pepper flakes
1 tablespoon of flour
1/2 tablespoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of liquid smoke
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of pepper


In a pot, bring the vegetable broth to a boil.  In a blender, combine the black beans, corn, mushrooms, cumin, onion, cayenne pepper, chipolte pepper flakes, liquid smoke, salt, and pepper.  Once the broth has been brought to a boil, add it to the blender and puree for 30 seconds until the beans have broken up a bit.  There is not need for it to be smooth, in fact, some texture is nice.


In a large bowl, add the wheat gluten, flour, and the blended mixture.  Quickly, stir until the dough until it is all moist and no dry gluten exists.  Place the gluten on a sheet of tin foil and roll like a burrito.  Twist the ends like to avoid an open end.

Steam in a large pot or steamer for 1 hour.  Then bake in the oven (still in the foil) for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes, flip and bake for an additional 15 minutes.  Let cool and serve.

2 comments:

Alessandra said...

This looks good, I really need to go and buy some wheat gluten now and try to make my onw slices?

Look forward to your other recipes :-)
and yes, great saving, and healthier, to take your own food to work.

Me? I usually work from home... which makes it easier!

Ciao
A.

Shaheen said...

These looks most excellent.

Vital wheat gluten is hard to find in the U.K. Its the reason I have not made anything with it yet, but I will when I get my hands on some.