Monday, December 6, 2010

Cream of Cauliflower Soup

I was walking around the grocery store, I found some orange cauliflower. Not much taste difference but the aesthetic value makes it fun.  It also prompted a fun conversation with some ladies about food.  One had recently been diagnosed with diabetes.  I walked around the produce section showing them a few foods and giving them some fun new ideas.

For my second day with my new blender, I whipped up some nice soup!


Cream of Cauliflower Soup


1 head of cauliflower (cubed)
3 med gold potatoes (cubed)
5 cloves of garlic (chopped)
3 cups of water
1  1/2 cups of vegetable broth
1/2 cup of coconut milk
2 tablespoons of onion (chopped)
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/2 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of pepper


In a pot,  bring the water to a boil.  Add the potatoes and cauliflower and boil for 15-20 minute or until the potatoes are soft.

In a saute pan, bring the oil to low-med heat.  Add the onion and garlic, and fry for 5 minute until the onion is soft.

Once the potatoes are soft, add strain the liquid and set aside.  In a blender, combine the vegetable broth, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, paprika, pepper, salt, and both potato and cauliflower.  Puree until smooth.

Place back in a pot, on very low heat and allow to get hot.  If the heat is too high, the soup with scorch.  Serve dusted with paprika or scallions.


Mine came out a bit more colorful than it would have if I had not used the fancy orange cauliflower.  If you can find purple cauliflower, that would look great too.  I also made a couple great green smoothies to showcase my new glasses again.

5 comments:

Jes said...

Beautiful soup! I always loved playing with purple cauliflower :)

Jenn and Jac @ sketch-free eating said...

Simple yet delicious im sure. Never had cauliflower soup before, but it looks good!

Alessandra said...

Last year I had purple cauliflower in my veggie garden, but I never seen an orange one! I am curious!!

Lovely soup, did you blend it in your new blender or did you use an immersion blender?

ciao
Alessandra

Shaheen said...

I would have loved to have seen it raw.

Anonymous said...

Orange cauliflower. Wow, I would like to see that in raw. Only know it white and green. The soup looks delicious.