Monday, December 27, 2010

Recipe Update: Spinach Smoothie

After much testing and experimenting, I have finally settled on a new recipe for my spinach smoothie.  It has a nice smooth flavor and the spinach taste is very mild.

I am aware that many of those out in the foodie blog world already have your own recipe for this drink drink them often.  However, there are some people who are not regulars in the food world that would benefit from such a healthy an delicious drink.

Since I got my new blender, I have been making these several times a week.  I have even let some co-workers try them and it has been very well received.  These are not your typical foodie types, they are the fast food on your break and a quick energy drink on your way to the time clock types.


I hope that some new people try this healthy and delicious drink (mum...im looking at you).


Spinach Smoothie

1 banana
1 kiwi
4 oz of spinach
1  1/3 cup of apple juice
1 tablespoon of liquid sweetener
1/2 tablespoon of fresh ginger

Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.  Be sure that all of the spinach has completely liquidfied.  For the liquid sweetener, I use agave nectar but corn syrup, honey or even maple syrup could all be used.


I use frozen ginger so I always have enough.  I recommend buying the root and peeling it.  Toss it in a seal-able bag and freeze it.  Later, you can use it with a shredder for stir-fry or whatnot.  For this, I cut off a chunk of ginger and toss it in the blender.

6 comments:

Rose said...

That does sound good! Thanks for the tip on ginger root.

Jenn and Jac @ sketch-free eating said...

It's true everyone has they're own go-to recipe for green smoothies. I like mine smooth and creamy and my sis likes her watety and icy. (don't get it)...

MeloMeals said...

Yum.. I love the addition of ginger

Millie said...

I will make this smoothie now that I am dieting...thanks my friend.

Alessandra said...

Well, I think I will have to try, a change from spirulina smoothies.

I wander if I could skip the liquid sweetener, maybe by adding one extra banana... sorry, I don't mean to mess up your tasted recipe... just try to lessen my sugar intake!!!

I agree with you in regards to ginger: use the root, especially for raw food!!!

ciao
A.

Leslie Ann Costello said...

The recipe sounds great but the photo.....that's art!