Monday, September 24, 2012

New England Shepherd's Pie

As fall creeps into the Atlanta area, I get to start eating heavier foods without feeling gross about it.  Comfort foods in the fall are a favorite of mine.  I am fairly heavy handed in the kitchen and falls leave me open to go for bold flavors.


Last week I made a quick batch of seitan to use in a shepherd's pie.  As a New Englander, shepherd's pie is a staple.  Every crummy diner you hit along the coast of route 1 from Rhode Island to Maine is going to have a shepherd's pie on the menu.


It is a very comforting food for me, reminds me of Maine.  In fact, my vegan version is better than any other version I can recall from my childhood.  It is a nice rich, heavy dish that combines the sweet and the savory.  Not to mention, it travels well for my work meals!

2 comments:

nathanielK said...

holy shit feed this to us please

Unknown said...

I didn't know Shepherd's Pie is so popular in New England. I wish I would have paid more attention when we lived out East. I love all fall foods...that means stick to your ribs soups and stews...and chilis!