Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Pesto Sandwich Spread

It has been great being busy with Real Estate.  However, that combined with still logging more than 40 hours a week at the jobby job, I have had little time to cook.  I decided to make some wraps as a simple grab and go meal.  They have been great too me.  I have been eating them for days.

I used the recipe below to make a pesto sandwich spread, added red onion, sprouts, avocado, shredded carrots, greens, cucumber, and some pre-package vegan deli slices, topped with a little balsamic vinegar.  This would also be great with some of my homemade deli slices.  It has been great to have a healthy meal while I have been working so hard.


Pesto Sandwich Spread

3 cloves of garlic
2 cups of fresh basil
1 cup of pine nuts
1/2 cup of olive oil
2 tablespoons of sun dried tomatoes
1  1/2 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of salt


In a blender or food processor, add the garlic, oil and pine nuts.  Puree until the garlic i broken down.  Add the basil, salt, nutritional yeast, sun dried tomatoes, and lemon juice.  Puree until smooth.


This has recipe has made enough pesto for about a weeks worth of sandwiches.

4 comments:

Sarah S. said...

I'm really loving basil right now. I need to make some pesto for my sammies, excellent idea!

Alessandra said...

I love pesto, one of my favourite things in life, and so full of goodness! No much basil in NZ at the moment, pity.

Hannah said...

Pesto is always tasty on just about anything! I like your use of sundried tomatoes here, I can imagine they add a whole 'nother dimension of flavor to the mix.

Shaheen said...

What a fab idea and one that I will follow. I've got a number of jars of home made Wild Garlic pesto calling out to be used on more than pasta!