Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Dinner with Jamie

It has been awhile since Jamie and I have done dinner. Tonight was the big night. I invited her over and started my culinary brain. I wanted to make something new since I rarely do anymore.

I have been crazing chili recently but this Georgia heat is really getting to me this year and a hot and heavy dish is not appetizing. After a little imaginative thought, I wondered if I could make a nice light summer chili. I did. It came out very well and Jamie enjoyed it as well.


Cold Summer Chili

3 cloves of garlic
15 oz of adzuki beans
15 oz of white beans
1 1/2 cups of cilantro leaves
1 cup of corn
5 tablespoons of pine nuts
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
3 teaspoons of lemon juice

In a colander, strain and rinse the beans.

Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the pine nuts and olive oil and blend on low speed until grainy. Add the garlic and lemon juice and blend on low speed until nearly smooth. Throughout the blending process, take a spatula and push the sides on the blender down into the middle. Add the cilantro and nutritional yeast and puree until nearly smooth.

In a large bowl, add the beans and corn and mix well. Then pour the cilantro sauce over the bean and corn mixture and mix gently and thoroughly. Chill for at least 30 minutes.

5 comments:

kmouse said...

Vic, that looks amazing! Great job and very creative thinking!

Rose said...

Cold chili is a stroke of genius! I love the sound of it...looks fantastic...I'll be trying this over the summer for sure. Cheers to you and Jamie! :)

Jamie said...

Seriously, Everyone make this! It is sooo yummy!

Shaheen said...

It does look flavourful.

jessy said...

this is absolutely perfect for summer & absolutely awesome looking! a tasty and hearty cold chili? i love it - and am totally going to have to try it out. pine nuts, cilantro, nooch, olive oil and beans = yes pleeease! hooray for a rock'n dinner with Jamie!