Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Hiking and a good day

It has been a long but good day. In the morning I got up early and went for a hike at Sweetwater Creek. I had not been since November, when I moved into the house. As it turns out, it was not as far as I had remembered and well within driving distance for my shotty old car. Sadly, when my new hiking buddy, Rebecca, and I arrived we were promptly told that the "red" path was closed. I have always gone along the "red" path and occasionally the "blue" but never have I stepped foot on the "white" trail. To dull the sudden blow to the excitement of the red path, we were told that Wednesdays are free. It was a nice touch but not what we wanted.

Off to the "white" path. As we got into the woods, we saw several signs warning us of rattlesnakes. Yikes! Foolishly, shortly after reading and joking about the signs, I darted off the beaten path to an old building foundation. Looking around I quickly spotted a huge snake skin and we left to get back on the path.

Eventually, after Rebecca fell into the water, we snuck our way onto the "red" path and got a good several hours of hiking in. I can not wait to get back to Sweetwater! I love that place.


I was home shortly after 1pm and assembled my leaf blower and cleaned off my drive and walk way. Then Ashley and I went out to eat and even stopped to get a piece of cake at a great bakery that is right down the street from me. Then we went back to the house and relaxed for a bit. More basketball tonight!

4 comments:

two vegan boys said...

Yikes rattlesnakes! At least they are not aggressive like water moccasins. Moccasins will chase you.

The pictures are beautiful. It looks like you had a great day.

Tara said...

Wow, these are gorgeous photos!

Hannah said...

Fascinating, and lovely photos! Makes me want to get off my butt and enjoy this beautiful day here, too. :)

laura said...

you should try the yellow path. it crossed the creek, then winds up a hill alongside a little creek. there's usually no one over there.