Thursday, September 30, 2010

Black Beans and Mango

Jamie came over for dinner!  It has been awhile since I have seen her and even longer since we have had dinner.  It was a nice visit albeit short.  It also gave me a great excuse to cook.  Jamie has always loved her black beans.  When we lived together, burrito night was always one her of favorite.  I have had an idea in mind recently and decided this was the prefect time to execute.


Black Beans and Mango

1 mango
5 cloves of garlic (chopped)
15 oz of black beans
1/2 cup of vegetable broth
1/2 fresh cilantro (chopped)
3 tablespoons of onion (chopped)
2 tablespoons of vegan sour cream
2 teaspoons of jalapeno pepper (chopped)
1 tablespoon of oil
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
1 teaspoon of corn starch
1 teaspoon of soy sauce

In a saute pan, bring the oil to low heat.  Add the pepper, onion, cumin seeds, and garlic and cook until aromatic.  Add the black beans and let cook for 3-5 minutes.  The onions should be translucent by this time.  Add the broth (or water) and soy sauce and bring to a slight simmer.

While the water is heating, take a non-stick pan and heat on med with just a touch of oil.  Chop the mango into small pieces.  Once the oil is hot, add the mango and lte it cook until it turns brown.  This should take about 3-5 minutes.

Once the water and black beans are simmering, add the corn starch and vegan sour cream.  Mix well.  This should turn the color a light brown.  Once the sour cream has melted and the corn starch has folded in, add the cilantro and stir well.



I set mine of a bed of kale and riceand topped it with some additional sour cream, mango, and cilantro.  I enjoyed the meal and I think it was just want Jamie might have wanted.  As a bonus, Jamie even did the dishes!

For dessert, we had an apple crisp that I had made last night.  It was a nice treat.  I still can not master the crumble.  I will get it one of these days and when I do I will be sure to share the recipe.  The apples always come out great.  i guess I should learn to follow directions so that I can be a better baker.

4 comments:

Millie said...

WOW...that looks fantastic. I have 1 jar of mango sauce left in my pantry and I am going to make this on Sunday...But remember I am allergic to corn so I must delete the corn starch from the recipe...but it should taste delish without it...thanks.

The Kuntrageous Vegan said...

@millie you could use potato starch or arrowroot instead; corn starch is just cheapest :)

Shaheen said...

Your black beans and mango dish is making my mouth water. It is so good looking.

jessy said...

i think your crumble looks great! the only crumble i've ever made (and i used brown rice flour to keep it gluten-free) was the one from the ppk site: http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=134 - actually, it's a crisp, not a crumble - although i'm not sure on the difference, but it was yum! hooray for dinner with jamie and double hooray for her being super nice & washing up the dishes. :) totally gonna have to try your black beans 'n mango - it's a combination i've heard about but never tried. i can't wait to give it a whirl!