Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Afternoon Pickles

Growing up my mum was never much for cooking.  However, I do recall coming home from school or a summer outing and there was often fresh fruit or a raw veggie plate on the kitchen table for us to nibble on.  I think this is one of the main reasons that I enjoy raw veggies so much.

One of the things my mum often had on the table was a kind of homemade pickle.  She said it would help me hydrate so that I could go back out and throw a ball against the church wall next door.  That was about as close to a church that I got as a kid.

With my dinner for one, I made myself some of these pickles with a few of the leftover cucumbers that I had.  It is nothing fancy but for all the mums with kids in a rush out in the blog world, these are easy treats!  Make sure the kids know they will help hydrate you.

Thank you to my mum for all the pickles and keeping my hydrated.




Afternoon Pickles

1 small cucumber
2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of dill
a pinch of sugar

Slice the cucumbers into chip sizes.  In a bowl, add all ingredients and toss the cucumbers into the dressing.  Let stand for about 30 minutes.

3 comments:

Millie said...

Its amazing how well we always return to Mom's way of living after we leave home. These cucumbers look very good.

Anonymous said...

I was just talking to cait about you throwing the ball against the church wall for hours.... so much so that the church spokesperson came over and was concerned that the grass had been completely worn down where you stood and they asked if you could move to a different spot.. hours and hours of throwing the ball hope you are feeling better soon.. I feel a little guilty concerning the second hand smoke issue but only a little

Jes said...

Love the quick pickles! Perfect afternoon snack!