Friday, December 18, 2009

Donut recipe and atheist holiday

It was another nice evening off. There was some timidness about being in such a large house, alone. It has actually had many perks. Quiet nights of basketball and donut making.

I used the recipe at Urban Housewife as inspiration. I changed a few things around so I will post some changes.

Donuts

1 egg worth of vegan egg substitute (powdered replacer works best)
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup soymilk
4 tablespoons margarine
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Pre-heat the oven at 350 degrees.

In a sauce pan, melt the margarine and stir in the soymilk, vinegar and vanilla. In a bowl, mix the remaining ingredients together thoroughly. When the liquid mixture is warm (not hot), pour it into the dry mixture and stir until well mixed.

Pour the batter into your donut baking pan (greased and floured). This recipe should make 6 donuts, only fill the pan about 2/3 of the way to the top to avoid overflow.

Bake for about 14-15 minutes at 350 degrees. Let donuts rest in the pan on a baking rack for 30 minutes. Once cooled, gently remove the donuts and frost as appeals.


As a long time atheist, I do not get many gifts around the holidays. I have fought it since I was about 13 years old. Priscilla, has always been very respectful of my feelings about the holiday and has always given me a "seasonal gift". When I went to my mailbox today, there was a package. The atheist Christmas gift! Thank you Priscilla! I love the pot holder and used it for my donuts.

2 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

Wow, those donuts look spectacular! Thanks for this recipe.

Tara said...

Ooh, donuts! I need one of those pans so I can use your recipe to make delicious goodness!
What a nice present!