Monday, July 8, 2013

Obligatory 4th of July post

Unfortunately, the fireworks were canceled in Atlanta due to rain.  Plan B was that Ashley, Kaleigh, and I were going to have dinner / cookout with Ashley's family.  Ashley and I decided that we should bring a few things so there was enough for us to eat.

We planned to bring some veggie burgers to maintain the tradition.  We quickly made some butternut squash as a side then decided to get a little creative.  Kaleigh and I made a pasta salad with lime juice, raw zucchini and fresh tarragon from my garden.  Both seemed to be well received and very little came home with us.



To my fortunate surprise, a few folks had thought about the vegan options before we arrived and there was some corn on the cobb and an amazing vegan bar b-que baked bean dish!  I was all over the beans, I even took the rest home!



Due to my jobby job, I have rarely gotten a holiday off.  It is a very rare occurrence and even more rare is me spending time doing something fairly traditional like a cookout of the 4th of July.  That evening we fired off some fireworks of our own with the neighbors in the cul-de-sac.

No comments: