Friday, November 27, 2009

Beet Soup

I had some left over beets from the potluck and Jamie was gone. Jamie does not like beets so I took the opportunity to make some soup! It was incredibly tasty and Jamie does not know what she is missing.

Beet Soup

1 beet (peeled and cubed)
1/2 red onion
2 1/2 cups of vegetable broth (or water)
1 tablespoon of oil
1 tablespoon of celery (chopped)
1 teaspoon of fresh dill
1 teaspoon of fresh ginger
1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
1 teaspoon of thyme
1 teaspoon of oregano
1 teaspoon of parsley
1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon of salt

In a pot, bring the vegetable broth to a boil and add the beets. Boil until the beets are tender. In the meantime, heat the oil in a sauce pan. Add the onion, celery, dill, ginger, pepper, thyme, oregano, parsley, salt, and crushed red pepper. Cook until the onion and celery are tender and the onion is translucent. When the onion mixture is done, add it to the beets.

Put the beets into a blender (do not overflow or it will splash) and puree until smooth. This can be served hot or cold.


This time next week I will be moving into my house! Exciting.


My thanksgiving dinner as I ran out the door for work. Left over cranberry sauce, veggie burgers, and mashed creamy potatoes. Then it was a full day of time and a half. Bittersweet.

1 comment:

Oraphan said...

Oh, that beet soup looks and sounds so delicious! I've never cooked beet before. You've just inspired me to give it a try, thanks:)