Friday, February 5, 2010

Another Potluck

Friday was a day of baking. I often bring a baked treat to work to share with either Myrna or Kendra. Recently, I brought a piece of the lemon cake and both Myrna and Kendra shared it. Kendra demanded that I make her the cake for her birthday. At first, I was not sure if she was just being nice or not. Well, she brought it up every day since so I made her the cake for her birthday on Saturday.

Saturday, Jamie and I are heading to our first vegan potluck of the year. We are bringing Channa Masala and a Strawberry Lemon Cheesecake. Since the potluck is early in the day, I needed to make the cheesecake in advance.

Strawberry Lemon Cheesecake

1 graham cracker crust
3 tubs of Toffuti Cream Cheese
3 units of egg replacer
1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of lemon juice
3/4 cup of strawberry lemon syrup (see below)
1 teaspoon of cinnamon

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, blend the cream cheese, egg replacer, and lemon juice until smooth. Add the cinnamon, sugar, and strawberry lemon syrup and puree until smooth. Pour the mixture into the graham cracker crust and bake for 40 minutes.



Strawberry Lemon Syrup

2 cups of strawberries
1 cup of sugar
2/3 cup of lemon juice
3/4 cup of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of lemon pulp
2 teaspoons of corn starch

In a sauce pan, heat all ingredients on low heat until simmering. Use a masher or fork to crush the strawberries. Taste test often. It will be fairly runny, remove from the heat. Use in the Strawberry Lemon Cheesecake recipe and top the cake with the remaining syrup.



I did not get a picture of an individual slice of the cheesecake. It was gone before I had the chance. I guess that is a good thing. I should have been more proactive. I will have to make two next time!

There was some extra cheesecake batter so I made some other items that I will share later. Additionally, I made myself some rosemary french fries for lunch. It was a big day in the kitchen.

3 comments:

Jes said...

That cheesecake looks amazing--and definitely a good sign that it was gobbled up!

Shaheen said...

Looks really good.

Rachana said...

mmmm mouthwatering cheesecake...