Wednesday, August 5, 2009

House Update and Food!

The other night, we made fried watercress potatoes and cilantro tofu. It was a nice and refreshing dish combined with an old favorite. Back when I lived in Portland, OR I used to makes fried watercress potatoes. It has been years since I have made this dish but it came out well and it matched the cilantro tofu well.

Watercress Potatoes

4 red potatoes (cubed)
1 cup of chopped watercress
1 clove of garlic
2 tablespoons of oil
2 teaspoons of ground black pepper
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of paprika

Boil the potatoes until almost soft. (about 15-20 mins). In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the clove of garlic (finely chopped) and bring oil to a med - low heat. Add the boiled potatoes to the oil and garlic. Once the potatoes begin to get a golden color, add the remaining spices. At some point you may need to add the remaining oil as the potatoes can dry out. Add the watercress and cook for about 5 mins until watercress has wilted.



I went rock climbing for the first time on Monday. It was a lot of fun. I did fall once. It was from only about 8 feet up so I avoided most injuries. I got a scrap on my arm from the rock but otherwise I am good. I hope to go again.

The house is now officially under constructions. The crew began the demolition last week. There are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.










3 comments:

Steph Timms said...

Those potatoes sound delicious! I actually have some pea shoots hanging out in the fridge, waiting for inspiration, so I think I'll sub the watercress with them.

Good luck with all the demolition/construction!

Jes said...

I'm loving the watercress idea!

Good luck with the renovation! It's always such a trying time but worth it in the end.

jessy said...

i can't say i've ever had watercress before - and now i want to try it! your potatoes, tofu, 'n watercress looks super stellar! dan & i will have to give it a whirl! mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

hooray for the renovations be'n underway! that rocks so hard! thanks for keep'n us updated - i love see'n transitions! w00t!