Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Black Bean Burgers and and general update

I have had an eventful week so far. Monday, some people from work and I went to Hammond Park to play some basketball. About 3 years ago, I was playing at this same park and severed 2 ligaments in my left foot. This was the first time I had been back. There were only three of us, so we played some 21 and then joined with another group of three for a few pick up games. Game two resulted in a collision between my teammate and I. Going for a loose ball I felt his shoulder compact on my jaw, then I hit the ground and everything went black. I was only out for a few seconds, with a split slip and a potentially dislocated jaw. A sip of water and a few spits of blood and we were playing again. Game three was cut short when a friend from work partially ruptured his Achilles tendon. He sat out, we finished the game and left. He will be out of work for 3 weeks and I had to call out yesterday due to stiffness in my jaw. We will see what comes of it.

Today I had to take a math competency test for school. Apparently I am so far from competent that I need to take 2 classes simply to qualify for the "big boy" math class. I guess that is the price you pay for being a non-traditional student. It will be gigantic waste of money but it is what I need to do in order to get a piece of paper. Education should be free.

The closing for the house looks like it will be pushed back until the 3rd of June. Not a big deal as long as that is the final push back. Fees will incur after the 6th.

Sunday Jamie and I went out for lunch and picked up some vegan cupcakes for later. I filled up and wanted a light dinner. Jamie suggested I try my hands at Black Bean Burgers again. This was the best turn out thus far. I will continue to make some small changes but these were great.

Black Bean Burger
(makes 3 burgers)

1 can of black beans
4 med cloves of garlic
1/3 cup of corn
1/3 cup of fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons of flour
1 tablespoon of diced onion
1 tablespoon of cornstarch
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon of black pepper
1/2 tablespoon of salt
2 teaspoons of diced jalapeno pepper
1 teaspoon of hot sauce
1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon of celery seeds
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper

In a sauce pan, saute the onion, corn, jalapeno, and onion until the onion is translucent. Meanwhile, in a blender/food processor, pulse the beans and spices until they are semi-smooth. Some chunks are desired. Empty the bean mixture into a bowl and add the onion mixture, flour, and corn starch. Fold all ingredients together, being cautious not to smush all the beans. Once the flour seems to be absorbed, cover and chill for 1 hour. Once the beans are chilled, pour enough oil to cover the bottom of a frying pan and bring to a high temperature. Do not let it smoke. Form the bean mixture into patties. Once the oil is hot, gently set the burgers into the oil. Fry each side until they begin to brown. Toss on buns, add guacamole and enjoy.


I have been watching a lot of basketball recently. Jamie is not thrilled about having the TV occupied constantly but she has been reading. Tato has developed a taste for the game and like to lounge on the futon and watch the games with me..some times he likes to watch them alone.

No comments: