Monday, January 26, 2009

Art House and New Foods!

This was a big weekend. Friday night Jamie had the opening at the Art House. This was a scavenger hunt project that around 375 people submitted pieces. Out of people, Jamie actually had 4 pieces on display in the show. They complied some of the entries into a book. In the book she has 2 pieces, one of which is an entire page unto itself. There are only two full page images in the book. The above picture includes the paper map house that Jamie made for the word "Home". It was a fun night! Her mom came up from Columbus and I made dinner for the three of us.

I made Channa Masala and a Thai Lemongrass Coconut Soup. I generally cook Asian foods so Indian comes fairly easy. I have made many variations of Masala and Mutter in the past. Someday I may post the recipe if people care. I had never made a Lemongrass Soup before. In fact, I had never worked with lemongrass at all. Our new apartment is in the middle of the asian part of town so I jump at the opportunity to buy fresh lemongrass at the local asian market. From there is was simple.

Thai Lemongrass Coconut Soup

14 oz of Coconut Milk
1 stock of lemongrass (cut into 2 inch chunks)
1 cup os subtle vegetable broth
1/2 tablespoon of fresh ginger
1/2 tablespoon of onion
1/2 tablespoon of fresh garlic
1/2 cup of oil (sesame works well)
1 teaspoon tumeric
1 teaspoon curry powder

Take the chopped lemongrass and broth and bring to a boil. Leave the lemongrass in large chunks so that you can scoop them out later. The broth you use should be a subtle flavor as most of the flavors are fragile. Allow the lemongrass to boil for about 10 minutes. Turn the heat down to a simmer and add the coconut milk. Stir frequently as the coconut milk willdevelop a "skin". In a skillet saute the ginger, garlic, oil and onion until soft. Add in the curry and tumeric as the onions are close to translucent. Add the onion mixture into the simmering liquid mixute and let simmer for another 20 minutes. Scoop out the lemongrass chunks and serve.

After a heart meal and a night at the Art House we came back to the apartment and watched The Waitress with Jamie's mother and Tato. I fell asleep and apparently ate a cookie in bed. Heh. What are you gonna do? I had a long day!

Then it was two grueling days at work. Nothing worth noting so I wont bother.
Today I had the day off and got a few things done. Nothing major but things that needed to be completed. For dinner I made some vegan Chickin Fingers and steamed veggies. I threw together some hot sauce and we were in business. Seitan is fun.

While I was making the seitan I realized that I still had a bunch of zucchinis that were starting to go bad. I quickly threw together some outstanding zucchini bread!


~DO NOT FOLLOW THIS~
Updated recipe here.
Zucchini Pineapple Bread

3 vegan egg substitues
1 cup olive oil
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups coarsely grated zucchini
1 cup of crushed pineapple
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 375. Throw all the dry ingredients together and mix. Add the zucchini and vanilla and mix. Then mix the pineapple (dont forget the juice!), eggs substitue, and oil. Pour into greased loaf pan and put in the oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Stick with a tooth pick to be sure it is done. Let it cool for 30 minutes of a rack and enjoy!

Tato is enjoying the new place as well as Jamie and I.

1 comment:

Tara said...

The zucchini pineapple bread looks fantastic! Congrats to Jamie!