Sunday, January 4, 2009

Lazy day off

A relaxing day off lead to picking up a futon cover. Concerns about the new roommate getting hair all over the place arose. Simple solution, a nice futon cover. There has been much discussion about apartments today as well. We have looked at a dozen or so places and a few have really stood out. We will see how it all pans out.

For diner we had some seitan cutlets with a great little salad. A simple mixture of beans, rice, and veggies makes it a flavorful cold or hot dish.

Beans and Rice Salad with a Lime Vinaigrette

3/4 cup of rice
3/4 cup of water

12 oz of northern white beans
12 oz of black eye peas
2 cups of steamed veggies (I used broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green peas and corn)

3/4 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 cup of olive oil
1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 of a fresh lime


Boil the Rice until tender. Take the beans and black eye peas and chill. In a food processor, mix the vinegar and garlic, puree. When the garlic is completely chopped, add the oil, mustard, pepper, and squeeze the juice from the fresh lime. Puree again, about 1 minute. Pour half of the vinaigrette into the beans and mix. When the rice is complete, pour the rice and veggies into the beans. Add the remaining vinaigrette mixture to the dish and carefully mix thoroughly.

Late in the evening, I threw together some blueberry muffins.

As my life settles more food will churn out.

4 comments:

Tara said...

Those muffins look great! Does the new roommate have a name yet?

Amira said...

I love blueberry muffins- yours look stunning! mine always end up all bumpy and weird looking (lol). I've yet to try seitan (shock!) does it taste much like tempeh or tofu or something else?

Anonymous said...

Like Tara, I am patiently awaiting the naming of the roommate!
The food looks great, you make seitan look so good! It's my nemesis~I just can't seem to get it right!
And your bloob muffins look just perfect.

Alicia said...

I don't usually add lime to my vinaigrette, but it sounds like a perfect addition! I bet it gives it a tangy kick!